Sadly due to the spread of COVID-19, we have suspended all tous until further notice.
If you are planing to travel in 2021, we have opened up time slots to be booked.
We look forward to showing you all the rainforest, once the world can travel again 🙂
River Drift Snorkelling
$105 Adult | $90 Child (3-14)| $360 Family of 4 (2A+2C)
8.30am Palm Cove
9am & 2pm* Port Douglas
*peak times only
Low – Med
Please check requirements
Max 12 guests
Within an ancient rainforest, step into the cool, crystal-clear water and drift with the current as you explore life under the water’s surface. Watch fish dart in and around the river stones and keep your eyes out for the occasional turtle.
This family friendly tour is the perfect way to stay cool in the hot tropics. A great introduction to snorkelling before heading out to the reefs. Small children (and adults) can journey down the river on large river sleds.
An amazing eco-immersion adventure thats different every time; Sometimes it’s fast and exciting, other times slow and relaxing.
What animals can I see?
As you float through one of the cleanest rivers in Australia, keep an eye out for:
- Saw-shelled turtles
- Over 33 species of fish
- Eastern Water Dragons
- Colourful birds like the Azure Kingfisher
- Electric blue butterflies
- Frogs and tadpoles
- Transfers from Palm Cove/Port Douglas/ Mossman
- Wetsuit, boots & snorkel mask
- Prescription masks (limited)
- Safety equipment & River Sled
- Safety trained river guide
- Small groups – maximum 12
Children love this tour, however please note the below requirements.
- Minimum age is 3 years*
- Child age is 3-14 inclusive
- All children 3-8 must wear a PFD/Lifejacket (provided)
- Anyone under 18 must be accompanied by an adult
- Car seats available free of charge in tour vehicle, for children under 7
*During Dec-Mar, our river might not be suitable for small children. We are always happy to advise if conditions are suitable.
8.30am – return 1.00pm
9.00am – return 12.30pm
2.00pm – return 5.30pm*
*peak times only
What to bring with you
- Wear swimmers under your clothes
- Dry clothes and a towel
- Gopros and waterproof cameras are more than welcome
- Phones can be brought in a dry bag
- Daily medication
- Prescription glasses with case
Leave all valuables and jewellery at your accomodation
River Snorkelling Requirements
Suitable for all ages and swimming abilities when the river is calm and relaxing.
With faster, more exciting conditions, ideal for strong swimmers.
- Not suitable for guests with limited mobility
- Must be able to walk over uneven surfaces
- You may need to climb over tree roots to exit the river
- Not suitable for anyone who is pregnant
- Max wetsuit size 3XL, max shoe size US 13
- Max weight limit is 120kg/264lb*
*This is due to the weight limit for our River Sleds*
- We highly reccomend having your own travel insurance
- All participants will be required to sign a liability release form
For safety reasons, some medical conditions, disabilities or impairments may exclude participants from our River Drift Snorkelling tour.
If our guides deem it unsafe for you to participate, we will provide you with a full refund.
If you have any concerns, please contact us before booking.
Prior to your tour, you will be required to complete a medical questionnaire and sign our liability waiver.
Frequently Asked Questions
How cold is the water?
The water temperature varies between 16-22C (60-71F) year round. We provide an extra thermal layer during winter, gloves are also available to use.
How long does the tour go for?
From Port Doulgas, the tour takes approx. 3.5 return including transfers.
We aim to spend up to 2 hours in the river, but this can vary based on group size. Smaller groups may finish earlier, based on reduced time taken for pickups/getting ready.
Can I meet you at the river?
Sorry, due to limited parking and a different finish location, we can’t meet you at the river. The closest place to meet us is in Mossman, 5 minutes away. This is a great place to meet us if you are planning to visit Mossman Gorge in the afternoon, or continue north towards the Daintree.
Do I need to call to confirm my booking?
While not necessary, we appreciate if you call or email 24 hours before travel to confirm accommodation details and pick up time. We can also update you on the river conditions.
Do I need my voucher?
If you’ve booked the tour directly with Back Country Bliss, there is no need to bring any vouchers or confirmation emails. If the tour has been booked through a travel desk/Travel agent, please bring your voucher along with you to give to the guide.
Can I be a spectator?
Sorry, due to the nature of the tour, there are no suitable areas to sit and watch.
Do we still run the tour if it is raining?
Depends on how much rain and also where the rain is falling. Please contact us for an update on the river conditions. As heavy rain can influence the safety and overall enjoyment of this tour, if we cancel a trip any monies will be refunded in full.
- Cancellations outside of 72 hours from departure — no charge.
- Cancellations within 48-72 hours before departure — 50% charge.
- Cancellations less than 48 hours before departure, or no show — 100% cancellation fee applies.
- Date changes are free of charge, but must be received by email or phone, 48 hours prior to tour departure.
- All changes are subject to availability and made at the discretion of the operator.
- Rain can influence the safety and overall enjoyment of this tour. If we cancel a trip any monies will be refunded in full.
Booking Terms & Conditions
By booking a River Drift Snorkelling tour, you agree to be bound by our “Booking Terms and Conditions” and “Medical Waiver”.
- Minimum age of participation is 3 years old*
- Family rate is based on 2 x adults + 2 x children (3-14)
- Maximum participant weight is 120kgs/264lb
- As this tour is weather dependent, it may be cancelled in conditions of heavy rainfall or extreme weather. If this occurs, bookings can be placed on another date or full refunds will be provided.
- If you are not waiting at your pick-up point at the date and time specified in your booking, then you will forfeit 100% of the total price paid. At the discretion of Back Country Bliss Adventures, you may be able to reschedule for another day with an added rescheduling fee.
- A medical declaration form must be completed. Any serious medical condition or history may disallow you from participating in the tour. Please see above for a copy of the medical declaration form.
- If a participant is found to have no swimming ability or insufficient level of mobility and/or fitness, participant will have to cease the tour and forfeit 100% of total price paid.
- Prices listed on the website supersede all previously advertised prices. Prices valid until 31/3/2021
Full terms and conditions can be found HERE