Located in the World Heritage-listed Daintree National Park, this challenging 10km-return walk is steep, but offers guests a truly unique experience. As you make your way up the trail, walk through a variety of terrain ranging from lowland rainforest, to a coral fern-dotted clearing 1000m up.
Scramble over boulders to reach the lookout of Devils Thumb; a large boulder overhanging the rainforest below. Enjoy sublime views across the Main Coast Range, the coast line and Coral Sea to the East. The views and abundant birdlife to spot, make the hard work worthwhile.
The ultimate day in the rainforest
The path less travelled
This challenging trail provides an opportunity to explore the upland and lowland rainforests of the Daintree National Park.
A forest in the clouds
Explore a world rarely seen by humans. Covered in mosses, lichen and facinating fungi; The cloud forests of the Wet Tropics are a wonderland!
Unique plants and animals
Surround yourself in an ancient landscape filled with an exotic array of wildlife and plants found nowhere else in the world!
A field in the sky
Along the trail the dense rainforest opens up to a giant feild of coral ferns. With no trees around, the views are unbeatable!
A worthy challenge
To reach the top of Devil’s Thumb, you’ll need to navigate through a diverse terrain of rainforest boulders and tree roots.
- Transfers from Palm Cove/Port Douglas/ Mossman
- Passionate local guide
- Fully guided interpretive bush walk
- Hiking Poles
- Gourmet picnic lunch
- All safety equipment
- Comfortable backpack with water bladder*
- Small groups – maximum 8
- Insect repellent
*Please advise if you have your own backpack
What to bring
- Shoes with good grip suitable for walking longer distances on uneven terrain (may get wet)
- Hat & Sunglasses
- Long sleeved sun-shirt
- Any personal medication
- Spare change of clothes
If you have any questions about equipment, please contact our friendly office
The Manjal Jimalji trail is 10.6km (6.5 mi) return, and takes approx. 8-10 hours to complete. This is only suitable for fit and active individuals.
- Due to the regions weather, this tour will only operate between May – October. Dates outside of this will only be considered if the weather is suitable
- This tour is weather dependant, a full refund will be offered if cancelled due to adverse weather conditions.
- Not recommended if pregnant
- No knee, ankle, hip issues/injuries
- High level of fitness required and good mobility
- Must be able to walk/climb over uneven terrain
- Closed toed shoes are required; preferably hiking shoes.
- Minimum age to participate is 11 years old.
If you have any concerns, please contact us before booking to have a chat about the trail.
- Minimum age is 11 years
- All children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult
Tours run on demand May – Oct
Minimum of 3 x guests to guarantee departure:
6.00am – return 5.00pm
6.30am – return 4.30pm
6.45pm – return 4.15pm
No Tours run Christmas Day (25th Dec)
For safety reasons, some medical conditions, disabilities or impairments may exclude participants from our hiking tours.
If our guides deem it unsafe for you to participate, you will not be able to continue on the tour.
If you have any concerns, please contact us before booking, as refunds are not garanteed and are at the discretion of Back Country Bliss management.
Prior to your tour, you will be required to complete a medical questionnaire and sign our liability waiver.
All persons under 18 years must have the Medical Declaration & Waiver Release signed by a parent or guardian.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How difficult is the walk?
Once we reach the 3.5km mark, the trail does ease off as we are on top of the range.
What if I can't make it all the way?
After the first 3.5km of uphill walking, the rainforest opens up to a large clearing.
This area will be used as a turn around point if guests are not up to the challenge of reaching Devil’s Thumb, or your guide feels there won’t be enough time left in the day.
The Coral fern patch provides incredible views, very similar to those on top of Devil’s Thumb. We can spend more time exploring this area, before heading back down to the vehicle.
Can I swim during the walk?
How long does the tour go for?
From Port Douglas the tour is approx 12 hours including transfers.
On average, we take 8-10 hours to complete the trail. This includes many breaks, and plenty of photo opportunities.
Group size, weather and fitness levels can change the time taken to complete.
Do we still run the tour if it is raining?
While the rainforest loves the rain, we may need to cancel if any storms are predicted.
We will keep you updated on any changes as we approach your tour date.
If we cancel the tour, a full refund will be provided.
Do I need to call to confirm my booking?
While not necessary, we appreciate if you call or email 24 hours before travel to confirm accommodation details and pick up time. We can also update you on the river conditions.
Do I need my voucher?
If the tour has been booked through a travel desk/Travel agent, please bring your voucher along with you to give to the guide.
- Cancellations outside of 72 hours from departure — no charge.
- Cancellations within 48-72 hours before departure — 50% charge.
- Cancellations less than 48 hours before departure, or no show — 100% cancellation fee applies.
- Date changes are free of charge, but must be received by email or phone, 48 hours prior to tour departure.
- All changes are subject to availability and made at the discretion of the operator.
Booking Terms & Conditions
By booking a Devil’s Thumbe Hiking tour, you agree to be bound by our “Booking Terms and Conditions” and “Medical Waiver”.
- Minimum age of participation is 11 years old*
- Family rate is based on 2 x adults + 2 x children (3-14)
- As this tour is weather dependent, it may be cancelled in conditions of heavy rainfall or extreme weather. If this occurs, bookings can be placed on another date or full refunds will be provided.
- If you are not waiting at your pick-up point at the date and time specified in your booking, then you will forfeit 100% of the total price paid. At the discretion of Back Country Bliss Adventures, you may be able to reschedule for another day with an added rescheduling fee.
- A medical declaration form must be completed. Any serious medical condition or history may disallow you from participating in the tour.
- If your guide determines it is unsafe for you to participate; due to insufficient level of mobility and/or fitness, participant/s will have to leave the tour and forfeit 100% of total price paid.
- Prices listed on the website supersede all previously advertised prices. Prices valid until 31/3/2021
Full terms and conditions can be found HERE
Don't Miss Out!
+61 (07) 4099 3677