Devil's Thumb Hike - Manjal Jimalji
$180 Adult | $150 Child (11-14) | $610 Family of 4 (2A+2C)
This tour operates May – October
6:00am Palm Cove
6.30am Port Douglas
Max 8 guests
Located in the World Heritage-listed Daintree National Park, this challenging 10km-return walk is steep, but offers guests a truly unique experience. As you make your way up the trail, walk through a variety of terrain ranging from lowland rainforest, to a coral fern-dotted clearing 1000m up.
Scramble over boulders to reach the lookout of Devils Thumb; a large boulder overhanging the rainforest below. Enjoy sublime views across the Main Coast Range, the coast line and Coral Sea to the East. The views and abundant birdlife to spot, make the hard work worthwhile.
The path less travelled
This challenging trail provides an opportunity to explore the upland and lowland rainforests of the Daintree National Park.
A forest in the clouds
Explore a world rarely seen by humans. Covered in mosses, lichen and facinating fungi; The cloud forests of the Wet Tropics are a wonderland!
Unique plants and animals
Surround yourself in an ancient landscape filled with an exotic array of wildlife and plants found nowhere else in the world!
A field in the sky
Along the trail the dense rainforest opens up to a giant feild of coral ferns. With no trees around, the views are unbeatable!
A worthy challenge
To reach the top of Devil’s Thumb, you’ll need to navigate through a diverse terrain of rainforest boulders and tree roots.
On top of the world!
With unrivalled views of the Daintree Rainforest to the north, and the Coral Sea to the east, the hard work really really pays off.
- Transfers from Palm Cove/Port Douglas/ Mossman
- Passionate local guide
- Fully guided interpretive bush walk
- Hiking Poles
- Gourmet picinic lunch
- All safety equioment
- Comfortable backpack with water bladder*
- Small groups – maximum 8
- Insect repellent
*Please advise if you have your own backpack
- Minimum age is 11 years
- Child age is 11-14 inclusive
- All children must be accompanied by an adult
Our family rate is based on 2 adults & 2 children up to 18 years
Tours run on demand,
Minimum of 2 x guests to guarantee departure:
6.00am – return 5.00pm
6.30am – return 4.30pm
6.45pm – return 4.15pm
- No Tours run Christmas Day (25th Dec)
What to bring with you
- Shoes with good grip suitable for walking longer distances on uneven terrain (may get wet)
- Hat & Sunglasses
- Long sleeved sun-shirt
- Any personal medication
- Spare change of clothes
The Manjal Jimalji trail is 10.6km (6.5 mi) return, and takes approx. 8-10 hours to complete. This is only suitable for fit and active individuals.
- Due to the regions weather, this tour will only operate between May – October. Dates outside of this will only be considered if the weather is suitable.
- This tour is weather dependant, a full refund will be offered if cancelled due to adverse weather conditions.
- Not recommended if pregnant
- No knee, ankle, hip issues/injuries
- High level of fitness required and good mobility
- Must be able to walk/climb over uneven terrain
- Closed toed shoes are required; preferably hiking shoes.
- Minimum age to participate is 11 years old.
If you have any concerns, please contact us before booking.
Medical Declaration & Waiver
For safety reasons, some medical conditions, disabilities or impairments may exclude participants from our hiking tours.
If our guides deem it unsafe for you to participate, we will provide you with a full refund.
If you have any concerns, please contact us before booking.
Prior to your tour, you will be required to complete a medical questionnaire and sign our liability waiver.
All persons under 18 years must have the Medical Declaration & Waiver Release signed by a parent or guardian.
Your guide will provide a hard copy on the day, but you can view the form below:
Devil's Thumb Hike
$180 Adult | $150 Child | $610 Family of 4
Book direct and save
No credit card fees
No booking fee
Frequently Asked Questions
How difficult is the walk?
Once we reach the 3.5km mark, the trail does ease off as we are on top of the range.
What if I can't make it all the way?
After the first 3.5km of uphill walking, the rainforest opens up to a large clearing.
This area will be used as a turn around point if guests are not up to the challenge of reaching Devil’s Thumb, or, your guide feels there won’t be enough time left in the day.
The Coral fern patch provides incredible views, very similar to those on top of Devil’s Thumb. We can spend more time exploring this area, before heading back down to the vehicle.
Can I swim during the walk?
Although we cross a small creek at the start, there are no swimming holes located along the rest of the trail.
Do we still run the tour if it is raining?
While the rainforest loves the rain, we may need to cancel if any storms are predicted.
We will keep you updated on any changes as we approach your tour date.
If we cancel the tour, a full refund will be provided.
Do I need to call to confirm my booking?
While not necessary, we appreciate if you call or email 24 hours before travel to confirm accommodation details and pick up time.
Do I need my voucher?
If you’ve booked the tour directly with Back Country Bliss, there is no need to bring any vouchers or confirmation emails. If the tour has been booked through a travel desk/Travel agent, please bring your voucher along with you to give to the guide.
- No refunds given for cancellations within 48 hours of tour departure.
- For cancellations 48-72 hours prior to departure, a 50% charge will be applied.
- Cancellations more than 72 hours (3 Days) prior to departure, will not be charged and refunded in full.
- Date changes are free of charge, but must be received by email or phone, 48 hours prior to tour departure.
- All changes are subject to availability and made at the discretion of the operator.
- Tours operate in the wind and rain and will only be cancelled in extreme conditions such as cyclones or severe storms; If the operator cancels, a full refund applies.
- All refunds are processed within 5 business days
Booking Terms & Conditions
- Minimum age of participation is 11 years old
- As this tour is weather dependent, it may be cancelled in conditions of heavy rainfall or extreme weather. If this occurs, bookings can be placed on another date or full refunds will be provided.
- If a participant is found to have insufficient level of mobility and/or fitness, participant will have to cease the tour and forfeit 100% of total price paid.
- If you are not waiting at your pick-up point at the date and time specified in your booking, then you will forfeit 100% of the total price paid. At the discretion of Back Country Bliss Adventures, you may be able to reschedule for another day with an added rescheduling fee.
- Prices listed on the website supersede all previously advertised prices. Prices valid until 31/3/2020
Full terms and conditions can be found HERE