A Daintree adventure not to be missed!
Beginning the day at a secret location on the Mossman River for our one of a kind River Drift Snorkelling tour; searching for turtles, water dragons and the elusive platypus.
After a well earned lunch, enjoy a traditional Kuku Yalanji smoking ceremony at the Mossman Gorge; where you’ll be cleansed of bad spirits and have traditional rainforest body paint applied.
Exploring the Daintree National Park at an easy pace, this interpretive 1.5hr walk, will leave you with a deeper understanding of this breath-taking rainforest.
Adult: $245 | Child: $210 | Family $860
Cairns & Palm Cove Transfers $25pp
Our small groups fill up quickly, so we advise booking ahead to avoid missing out.
If our tours are full on the date you’re after, you can easily join our waiting list.
We always try our best to fit you in on the date requested, or offer you an alternative.
Availability & Bookings
Cairns & Palm Cove Transfers $25 pp
The ultimate day in the rainforest
Welcome to country
Traditional “Welcome to Country” and smoke ceremony with a Kuku Yalanji guide; the traditional custodians of Mossman Gorge.
River Drift Snorkelling
It’s swimming, snorkelling, floating and a rainforest walk. All combined into the best rainforest experience in the region!
Learn about this hidden rainforest ecosystem, as your river guide takes you on a journey you’ll never forget!
Surrounded by lush green rainforest, your guided walk takes you through some of the most stunning parts of the Daintree National Park.
Dragons are real!
Keep on the lookout for the Boyd’s Forest Dragon. Learn about these wonderful creatures found nowhere else on earth!
Safe Refreshing Water
Enjoy a refreshing swim in paradise! The perfect location for an afternoon snack, as you bliss out besides this beautiful waterhole.
Who is this for?
To enjoy this active rainforest experience, all participants require a reasonable level of fitness, and a high level of mobility.
Mossman Gorge requirements:
Guests should have no concerns with walking 4km on natural trails with uneven ground and steps.
River Snorkelling requirements:
All participants are required to complete a medical questionnaire and liability release form
Not suitable if you have limited mobility or injuries
e.g: difficulty walking, injured or limited movement of knees, ankle, shoulder etc
Not suitable for anyone who is pregnant
Due to risk of falling on stomach, sudden jarring movements and impacts
Max recommended weight limit is 125kg/274lb
Due to limitations of our equipment & our guides ability to safely rescue you in an emergency.
A good level of fitness and mobility is required if you are near or over this weight
When the river level is low (most of the year), our activity is generally suitable for all ages (4+) and swimming abilities.
When the river level is higher, the faster flowing water is only suitable for strong swimming adults (15+) with good fitness and mobility.
If you have any concerns about your suitability, please contact us before booking.
Refunds are not guaranteed if you are deemed unsuitable to participate on the day of the tour.
- Return transfers ex Port Douglas/ Mossman (Cairns & Palm Cove transfers $25pp)
- Traditional Welcome Ceremony
- Guided rainforest walk
- River Drift Snorkelling
- Lunch and snacks
- BPA-Free water bottle for the walk
- Walking pole if requested
- All wetsuits and snorkelling gear
- Prescription masks (limited)
- All Safety equipment
- Safety trained river guide
Children love this tour, however please note the below requirements:
- Minimum age is 3 years*
- Child age is 3-14 inclusive
- All children 3-8 must wear a PFD/Life jacket (provided)
- Anyone under 18 must be accompanied by an adult
- Car seats available free of charge in tour vehicle, for children under 7
- Family rate is based on 2 adults + 2 children
*We are always happy to advise if conditions are suitable for small children. During heavy rain, our river might not be suitable, due ot the speed of the water. If we deem the conditions unsafe for small children, we will either move your booking to another day, or provide a refund
Tours depart daily
7.45am – return 6.00pm
8.25am – return 5.30pm
9.00am – return 5.00pm
*transfers from Cairns and Palm Cove $25pp
Mossman – George Davis Park in front of toilet block (under the giant trees)
Port Douglas – Wildlife Habitat bus stop
We are closed 25th Dec
Itineraries may operate in reverse or in a different sequence
What to bring
- Shoes suitable for walking up to 3.5km/2mi on uneven terrain
(may get wet)
- Shorts or pants
- Swim wear and a towel
- Small backpack
- Hat & Sunglasses
- Money for souvenirs
- Any personal medication
Leave all other valuables and loose jewellery at your accomodation
River Snorkelling Requirements
Our tour is suitable for all ages and swimming abilities when the river is calm and relaxing (most of the year).
With faster, more exciting conditions, ideal for strong swimmers.
- Not suitable for guests with limited mobility
- Must be able to walk over uneven surfaces
- You may need to climb over tree roots to exit the river
- Not suitable for anyone who is pregnant
- Max wetsuit size 3XL, max shoe size US 13
- Maximum reccomended weight limit is 125kg/274lb, due to certain limitations of our equipment.
**If you are over this weight limit, it can be waived but please contact our office prior to booking**
- We highly reccomend having your own travel insurance
- All participants are required to complete a medical questionnaire and liability release form
For safety reasons, some medical conditions, disabilities or impairments may exclude participants from our River Drift Snorkelling tour.
If our guides deem it unsafe for you to participate, you will not be able to coninue on the tour.
If you have any concerns, please contact us before booking, as refunds are not garanteed and at the discretion of Back Country Bliss management.
Prior to entering the river are, you will be required to complete a medical questionnaire and sign our liability waiver.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How difficult is the walk?
The great thing about the Mossman Gorge, is how accessible it is. Along the trail there are some steps and small obstacles; with most of the walk on fairly flat ground. The walk crosses a suspension bridge that boasts spectacular views of Mossman River and the unique flora and fauna of the Daintree Rainforest. With up to 3km of boardwalks and paths, we take our time, as we learn about this ancient landscape; usually spending 1.5-2 hours to get through.
How cold is the water?
The water temperature varies between 16-22C (60-71F) year round. We provide an extra thermal layer during winter, gloves are also available to use.
How long does the tour go for?
From Cairns, the tour takes approx. 11 hours return including transfers.
From Port Douglas the tour is approx 9 hours.
This tour is designed to provide you with the most time in the rainforest, and not in a vehicle.
Can I meet you at the river?
Do we still run the tour if it is raining?
Yes, the rainforest loves the rain! For your comfort, we also have umbrellas for you to use during the tour; If heavy rain is forecast, it’s best to bring a change of clothes.
River Drift Snorkelling may be affected by heavy rainfall. If we are unable to safely use the river, we will offer an alternative wet weather itinerary (still plenty of rainforest to explore). However, If you wish to cancel prior to start of tour, we will provide a full refund.
The tour will only be cancelled in extreme conditions: when it is unsafe to be outside.
Can I swim at Mossman Gorge?
Yes! The crystal-clear water in the Mossman River is perfect for enjoying a refreshing swim.
All of our guides are trained in river safety and will assess if the main river is safe to use on the day. If you have concerns about your ability to swim, please talk to our guide before entering the water.
If the Main swimming area is not suitable, there is an impressive waterhole along the walking trail we can use.
Do I need to call to confirm my booking?
While not necessary, we appreciate if you call or email 24 hours before travel to confirm accommodation details and pick up time. We can also update you on the river conditions.
Do I need my voucher?
If the tour has been booked through a travel desk/Travel agent, please bring your voucher along with you to give to the guide.
Can I be a spectator?
- Cancellations outside of 72 hours from departure — no charge.
- Cancellations within 48-72 hours before departure — 50% charge.
- Cancellations less than 48 hours before departure, or no show — 100% cancellation fee applies.
- Date changes are free of charge, but must be received by email or phone, 48 hours prior to tour departure.
- All changes are subject to availability and made at the discretion of the operator.
Booking Terms & Conditions
By booking a Mossman Gorge Adventure Day tour, you agree to be bound by our “Booking Terms and Conditions” and “Medical Waiver”.
- Minimum age of participation is 3 years old*
- Family rate is based on 2 x adults + 2 x children (3-14)
- Maximum participant weight is 120kgs/265lb
- As this tour is weather dependent, it may be cancelled in conditions of heavy rainfall or extreme weather. If this occurs, bookings can be placed on another date or full refunds will be provided.
- If you are not waiting at your pick-up point at the date and time specified in your booking, then you will forfeit 100% of the total price paid. At the discretion of Back Country Bliss Adventures, you may be able to reschedule for another day with an added rescheduling fee.
- A medical declaration form must be completed. Any serious medical condition or history may disallow you from participating in the tour.
- If your guide determines it is unsafe for you to participate; due to no swimming ability or insufficient level of mobility and/or fitness, participant/s will have to leave the tour and forfeit 100% of total price paid.
- Prices listed on the website supersede all previously advertised prices. Prices valid until 31/3/2021
Full terms and conditions can be found HERE
Don't Miss Out!
+61 (07) 4099 3677