Mossman Gorge adventure day with River Snorkelling
$240 Adult | $210 Child (3-14) | $855 Family of 4 (2A+2C)
9.5 – 12 hours
Max 12 guests
Immerse yourself in a rainforest experience like no other! Beginning the day at Mossman Gorge with a traditional Kuku Yalanji smoking ceremony; you’ll be cleansed of bad spirits and have traditional rainforest body paint applied. Exploring the Daintree National Park at an easy pace, this interpretive 1.5hr walk, will leave you with a deeper understanding of this breath-taking rainforest.
After a well earned lunch, travel to a secret location on the Mossman River for our one of a kind River Drift Snorkelling tour; searching for turtles, water dragons and the elusive platypus. A Daintree adventure not to be missed!
Mossman Gorge Highlights
Welcome to country
Traditional “Welcome to Country” and smoke ceremony with the Kuku Yalanji, the traditional owners of Mossman Gorge.
View from above
It’s hard to beat this view! As you walk along an elevated boardwalk, take in the sights of the rainforest below.
Giant Strangler Figs
As you explore Mossman Gorge, stand in awe beneath these giants of the rainforest. Your guide will teach you all about their unique lifecycle.
Safe Refreshing Water
Enjoy a refreshing swim in paradise! The perfect location for an afternoon snack, as you bliss out besides this beautiful waterhole.
Surrounded by lush green rainforest, your guided walk takes you through some of the most stunning parts of the Daintree National Park.
Dragons are real!
Keep on the lookout for the Boyd’s Forest Dragon. Learn about these wonderful creatures found nowhere else on earth!
What animals can I see?
Watch fish swim around your feet, search for freshwater turtles, water dragons and even the elusive platypus…
- Saw-shelled turtles
- Over 33 species of fish
- Eastern Water Dragons
- Colourful birds like the Azure Kingfisher
- Electric blue butterflies
- Frogs and tadpoles
- Return transfers ex Port Douglas/ Mossman
*Cairns/Nth Beaches additional cost
- Traditional Welcome Ceremony
- Guided rainforest walk
- Damper and tea
- Lunch and snacks
- BPA-Free water bottle for the walk
- Walking poles and backpack if req.
- River Drift Snorkelling tour
- All wetsuits and snorkelling gear
- Prescription masks (limited)
- All Safety equipment
- Safety trained river guide
- Minimum age is 3 years*
- Child age is 3-14 inclusive
- Anyone under 16 must be accompanied by an adult
- Child seats available free of charge in tour vehicle, for children under 7
*During Dec-Mar, our river may not always be suitable for small children. We are always happy to advise if conditions are suitable.
Our family rate is based on 2 adults & 2 children
Tours departs daily from:
6.45am – return 6.30pm
7.25am – return 6.00pm
8.00am – return 5.30pm
8.20am – return 5.15pm
- No Tours run 7th June & 25th Dec
- Itineraries may operate in reverse or in a different sequence
What to bring with you
- Shoes suitable for walking up to 3.5km/2mi on uneven terrain
(may get wet)
- Shorts or pants
- Swim wear and a towel
- Hat & Sunglasses
- Money for souvenirs
- Any personal medication
River Snorkelling Requirements
Suitable for all ages and swimming abilities when the river is calm and relaxing.
With faster, more exciting conditions, ideal for strong swimmers.
- Not suitable for guests with limited mobility
- Must be able to walk over uneven surfaces
- You may need to climb over tree roots to exit the river
- Not suitable for anyone who is pregnant
- Max wetsuit size 3XL, max shoe size US 13
- Max weight limit is 120kg/264lb*
*This is due to the weight limit for our River Sleds*
- We highly reccomend having your own travel insurance
- All participants will be required to sign a liability release form
For safety reasons, some medical conditions, disabilities or impairments may exclude participants from our River Drift Snorkelling tour.
If our guides deem it unsafe for you to participate, we will provide you with a full refund.
If you have any concerns, please contact us before booking.
Prior to your tour, you will be required to complete a medical questionnaire and sign our liability waiver.
Frequently Asked Questions
How difficult is the walk?
The great thing about the Mossman Gorge, is how accessible it is. Along the trail there are some steps, with most of the walk on flat ground. The walk crosses a suspension bridge that boasts spectacular views of Mossman River and the unique flora and fauna of the Daintree Rainforest. With up to 3km of boardwalks and paths, we take our time, as we learn about this ancient landscape; usually spending 1.5-2 hours to get through.
How cold is the water?
The water temperature varies between 16-22C (60-71F) year round. We provide an extra thermal layer during winter, gloves are also available to use.
How long does the tour go for?
From Port Doulgas, the tour takes approx. 9.5 return including transfers.
This tour is designed to provide you with the most time in the rainforest, and not in a vehicle.
Do we still run the tour if it is raining?
Yes, the rainforest loves the rain! For your comfort, we also have umbrellas for you to use during the tour; If heavy rain is forecast, it’s best to bring a change of clothes.
River Drift Snorkelling may be affected by heavy rainfall. If we are unable to safely use the river, we will offer an alternative wet weather itinerary (still plenty of rainforest to explore). However, If you wish to cancel prior to start of tour, we will provide a full refund.
The tour will only be cancelled in extreme conditions.
Can I swim at Mossman Gorge?
The crystal-clear water in the Mossman River is perfect for enjoying a refreshing swim.
All of our guides are trained in river safety and will assess if the main river is safe to use on the day. If you have concerns about your ability to swim, please talk to our guide before entering the water.
If the Main swimming area is not suitable, there is an impressive waterhole along the walking trail we can use.
Do I need to call to confirm my booking?
While not necessary, we appreciate if you call or email 24 hours before travel to confirm accommodation details and pick up time.
Do I need my voucher?
If you’ve booked the tour directly with Back Country Bliss, there is no need to bring any vouchers or confirmation emails. If the tour has been booked through a travel desk/Travel agent, please bring your voucher along with you to give to the guide.
- No refunds given for cancellations within 48 hours of tour departure.
- For cancellations 48-72 hours prior to departure, a 50% charge will be applied.
- Cancellations more than 72 hours (3 Days) prior to departure, will not be charged and refunded in full.
- Date changes are free of charge, but must be received by email or phone, 48 hours prior to tour departure.
- All changes are subject to availability and made at the discretion of the operator.
- Tours operate in the wind and rain and will only be cancelled in extreme conditions such as cyclones or severe storms; If the operator cancels, a full refund applies.
- Rain can influence the safety and overall enjoyment of River Drift Snorkelling. If we are unable to safely use the river, an alternative wet weather activity will be substituted in the Daintree Rainforest. If we cancel a trip any monies will be refunded in full.
- All refunds are processed within 5 business days
Booking Terms & Conditions
By booking a Mossman Gorge Adventure Day with River Drift Snorkelling tour, you agree to be bound by our “Booking Terms and Conditions” and “Medical Waiver”.
- Minimum age of participation is 3 years old* Pending river conditions
- Family Rate is based on 2 x adults + 2 x children
- Maximum participant weight is 120kgs/264lb
- As this tour is weather dependent, it may be cancelled in conditions of heavy rainfall or extreme weather. If this occurs, bookings can be placed on another date or full refunds will be provided.
- If you are not waiting at your pick-up point at the date and time specified in your booking, then you will forfeit 100% of the total price paid. At the discretion of Back Country Bliss Adventures, you may be able to reschedule for another day with an added rescheduling fee.
- A medical declaration form must be completed. Any serious medical condition or history may disallow you from participating in the tour. Please see above for a copy of the medical declaration form.
- If a participant is found to have no swimming ability or insufficient level of mobility and/or fitness, participant may have to cease the tour and forfeit 100% of total price paid.
- Prices listed on the website supersede all previously advertised prices. Prices valid until 31/3/2021
Full terms and conditions can be found HERE